This year, ms employees and spouses participated in the pedometer challenge with a mission to make strides against cancer and earn a $10,000 donation to the American Cancer Society. At the end of the eight week challenge, employees walked (or ran) enough steps to circle the Earth…twice!
The 2015 Strides Against Cancer was held during June 15-August 9 with a company-wide step goal of 84 million steps. Upon meeting the step goal, ms committed to donating a total of $10,000 among regional American Cancer Society chapters, local to each office. During the eighth week of the challenge, employees surpassed the goal with a total of 88,388,709 steps!
About the American Cancer Society
The American Cancer Society (ACS) is a nationwide, community-based voluntary health organization dedicated to eliminating cancer as a major health problem. ACS helps people stay healthy and get healthy, find cures, and fight cancer. With approximately 1 in 3 people being diagnosed with cancer during his or her lifetime, the disease impacts the lives of many people and their families, friends, and coworkers.
ACS is continuously in need of volunteers and support. Here are a few options to get involved:
- Annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walks will be held in October across the country. ACS is currently recruiting teams and volunteers for the event. Find the nearest event by visiting MakingStridesWalk.org.
- Each year, more than 4 million people in over 20 countries raise much-needed funds and awareness to save lives from cancer through the Relay For Life movement. Most events begin planning in the fall for an event that is held in the spring. Find the event closest to you and information on how you can get involved by visiting RelayForLife.org.
- If you’re in Columbus, ACS is recruiting volunteers and runners to participate in the inaugural C2C Run. The C2C Run is a relay style event where teams of 8 run alternating legs for 131 miles from Columbus to Cincinnati! Held on September 11-12, you can sign up as a runner or a volunteer along the route at C2CRun.org the C2C Facebook page.
- To donate to ACS, visit cancer.org/Donate.
- For additional volunteer opportunities, visit cancer.org/Involved.
All employees worked hard to meet the step goal, but we also want to send an extra special congratulations to the top runners and walkers.
Top Runner Overall
Jonathan Hren – 1,009,781 steps
Top Walker Overall
Jonathan Davis – 1,006,768 steps
Runners – Jonathan Hren, Ted Zangmeister, Angelina Joseph, James O’Mara
Walkers – Jonathan Davis, Larry Webster, Magdy Garas, Rachel Pohnan, Christopher Costes
Runners – Chad Snow, Alexis Jones, Molly Quinn, John Papciak
Walkers – Michael Borgel, Raquel Berroteran, Richard Winter, Yvonne Blegen, Matthew Ray
Runners – Brian Hill, Micaela Arce, Reneé Wittenberger, Tom Hibbard
Walkers – Shelly Snow, Jim Bednar, Amy Shoaf, Justin Kuczynski, Charles White
Thank you again to all of the participants! The annual pedometer challenge is one of the many activities in ms’ award-winning wellness program. Want to join next year? Visit our careers page to work with us!