Investing in traffic has recently been a high priority on the U.S. Department of Transportation’s (USDOT’s) agenda. Focusing on traffic safety directly improves communities with reductions in fatalities and injuries, both for drivers and pedestrians.
The crisis of increased fatalities in 2021 compared to 2020 was addressed with urgency, leading to the launch of Safe Streets and Roads for All (SS4A). Keep reading to find out more about this important grant program.
What is Safe Streets for All?
The Safe Streets and Roads for All (SS4A) grant program was established to take action against the rise in deaths on streets and roads. The federal government plans to fund up to $1 billion in SS4A-applicable projects by the end of this year or early 2023 to those who qualify. Like other grant programs, SS4A relies on a grant application process to be eligible for funding. The accessibility to have safer roads is just an application away.
There are two types of categories within the Safe Streets and Roads for All grant:
Action Plan grants and Implementation grants.
- Action Plan grants: a resource to research, plan, and collaborate with a community.
- Implementation grants: a resource to apply treatments, promote innovative technologies, and install safety enhancements.
Who Can Apply for SS4A?
With an opportunity to decrease traffic accidents you are probably wondering what you can do to be a worthy applicant for the SS4A grant.
Well, there are many opportunities. To get you started, ask yourself the following questions about your community:
- Am I involved in a metropolitan planning organization?
- Am I concerned about a subdivision of a state?
- For example: counties, cities, towns, transit agencies, other special districts
- Am I concerned about a federally recognized tribal government?
- Am I a part of a multijurisdictional group that include the above entities?
If any of those answers to the above questions are “yes”, you are on the right track! The next step is to consider applying.
Apply, apply, apply!
The deadline to apply for SS4A September, 15 2022. So, there is no time to waste. The Safe Streets for All grant program is a great opportunity to fund those safety-enhancing projects for your community.
Need some help? Our grants and funding team has you covered. Reach out to email@example.com to learn more.