The project will improve the stretch of Pittsburg Avenue where it meets Shuffel Street and Orion Street.
Stark County Commissioners, Wednesday meeting
KEY ACTION: Approved the Stark County Engineer’s office agreement with MS Consultants to do final engineering services and acquisition of right of way for the Pittsburg Avenue-Shuffel Street-Orion Street improvement project for $542,522.
DISCUSSION: MS had performed preliminary engineering studies and public feedback on the project at a cost of $231,410 under a contract approved in August 2018.
The total paid to MS will be $771,044, with federal grants covering $360,000 and County Engineer Association of Ohio funds covering $411,044.
MS has recommended the construction of two roundabouts to improve congestion in the stretch of Pittsburg that meets Shuffel and Orion.
- Approved an agreement between the Stark County Engineer’s office and Bowman Appraisal Services for up to $6,500 for appraisal review services for the Portage Street improvement project.
- Approved a change order reducing the cost of a project to install guardrail on county roads with federal grant funding by about $12,500 because planned tasks were deemed not needed.
- Approved the Engineer’s office advertising for bid the Baywood Street bridge replacement project at an estimated construction cost of $475,000. The County Engineer’s Association of Ohio will cover $424,800 with the county’s gas tax and license plate tax fund covering the rest.
- Awarded the contract to widen and resurface the Perry Drive and Jackson Avenue NW intersection in Jackson Township to apparent low bidder KARVO Companies of Stow for $1.19 million. The County Engineers’ Association of Ohio will cover 80 percent, an Ohio Public Works Commission grant will cover $445,018, Jackson Township $50,000 with the county covering the rest. The project is scheduled to begin later this year.
- Approved a change order for the Moreland allotment sanitary sewer project that increases the cost of the project by $261,255 due to the need to buy more foundation stone as a result of soil condition, more piping required and modifications to electrical work. With all change orders, the cost is $4.51 million compared to the original $4.16 million. The contractor is Elite Excavating Company of Ohio.
- Appointed Jeff Dotson to the Stark County Transportation Improvement District Board to serve the rest of the term of a member who resigned and reappointed Stark County Administrator Brant Luther and Louisville Planning Director Vince Marion to the board to terms ending April 2022.
- Received notification that Canton plans to annex 1.95 acres of Plain Township as part of the “HOF Village No. 6 Annexation.”