Trustees agreed to have the Stark County Engineer move forward with design work to extend Strip Avenue NW north to Applegrove Street NW.
Trustees have been contemplating the project for some time. The engineer's office vetted and recommended MS Consultants, an engineering and planning company with an office in Akron, to do the work. Design costs have been limited to $175,000. Strip Avenue NW current extends from Portage Street NW north to a dead end just past Eagle Circle NW. Extending the road farther north to Applegrove Street NW would open vacant property for development.
Promoted patrolman Daniel Vaughn to the rank of sergeant effective Friday. He fills a vacancy that a retirement created earlier this year. Vaughn will be paid $33.81 per hour and serve a one-year probationary period. Trustees interviewed three candidates from the Jackson Police Department who had the top scores on the sergeant's exam. Trustee James Walters noted that the decision was difficult. "We had three great candidates," he said.
- Paid bills totaling more than $588,800.
- Approved the temporary closing of several streets that will be part of the course for a 5-kilometer race July 1 during the annual Community Celebration.
- Accepted sponsorship donations for the Community Celebration: $500 from A.A. Hammersmith Insurance; $500 from Rohr & Sons Nursery; and, $100 from Sherry and Terry Sample.
- Did not request a hearing on a liquor permit requested for Mission BBQ, which is set to open in mid June at 4490 Everhard Road NW.
- Approved a mutual-aid agreement with the Stark County sheriff's department to provide an officer for the Metro Narcotics unit.
- Tabled action of a mutual-aid request from the Cleveland Police Department during the Republican National Convention in July. Trustees said the request needs additional review before action can be taken.
June 14 at 5 p.m. in township hall. An executive session or work session is scheduled for 4 p.m.