Nearly 90 former Youngstown State football players and friends of the program, some traveling from as far as Arizona, took part in the 2017 Ned Mervos YSU Football Alumni Golf Outing on Friday, May 12, at the Youngstown Country Club.
The participants had the opportunity to meet and mingle with current members of the YSU Football Coaching staff as well as former head coach and current YSU President Jim Tressel. Head Coach Bo Pelini spoke with the group prior to the start of the event, thanking them for their continued support and beginning the high-standing tradition that the program still maintains.
The event was sponsored in part by ms consultants, inc.
Prior to the event, the group held a moment of silence for former players who had passed away in the past year. The players also sang the YSU fight song together before heading to their carts for the shotgun start.
The winning foursome was Ray Briya, Randy Barker, Pete Brittain and Frank Pokorny, who carded a score of 59 for their round.
The skill prize winners were:
- Longest Drive on No. 7 – Terry Jacobs
- Longest Drive on No. 10 – Mike Sloe
- Longest Putt on No. 5 – Mike Boro (33 feet, 3 inches)
- Longest Putt on No. 13 – Gary Anania (13 feet, 9 inches)
- Closest to the Pin on No. 9 – Lou Giordano (7 feet, 4 inches)
- Closest to the Pin on No. 16 – David Janofa (9 feet, 4 inches)
For more information on the YSU Football Alumni Group, contact Tom Morella at (330) 941-2351 or firstname.lastname@example.org.